According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, more than a million emergency room visits are because of slip-and-fall accidents. There are many things that can cause a slip-and-fall, but a significant number of these accidents are the result of property owner negligence.
Negligent property owners may be held liable for your slip-and-fall injuries for failing to reasonably maintain their property. Property owners are generally expected to:
- Conduct regular inspections to identify any potential hazards on the property.
- Perform routine maintenance.
- Assess risks relating to hazards and take steps to prevent accidents (measures taken must be proportional to possible risks).
If an owner negligently fails to inspect and repair their property, they may be responsible for any slip-and-falls caused by hazards on the property.
What damages can I recover?
If your accident was caused by another party’s negligence, you may be able to recover economic and non-economic damages. Economic damages typically cover:
- Medical expenses: Slip-and-falls can result in traumatic brain injuries, fractures, spinal cord damage, and sprained muscles, and various other serious injuries.
- Lost wages: Many victims of accidents are unable to work while they recover from their accident-related injuries.
- Loss of earning capacity: If a victim cannot return to the job they had before the accident due to their injuries, they may recover damages for their loss of earning capacity.
Non-economic damages may cover:
- Pain and suffering: Accident victims may experience severe pain and discomfort due to their injuries.
- Emotional distress: Accident victims may suffer from emotional and mental distress due to the trauma they just experienced.
- Physical impairment: Injuries may result in permanent disability or impairment can change the accident victim’s life forever.
- Loss of enjoyment of life: The accident victim may no longer be able to engage in the various activities and hobbies they participated in prior to their accident.
Slip-and-fall accident victims should consider seeking legal assistance as soon as possible after their accident to file a personal injury claim against the property owner and other negligent parties responsible for their accident.