Taking Action After Your Car Accident
Accidents happen fast, and in the aftermath, you may not know what to do next. An accident scene is a dangerous place, often in the middle of oncoming traffic. The most important thing to remember is to stay safe and take care of your injuries right away.
At Solberg Stewart Miller, our experienced accident attorneys understand how the steps you take after your car accident can affect your claim for damages. They will start building your case from the day you hire our firm, but there are certain things you can do right away to strengthen your claim.
What Steps Should You Take?
As noted above, your health and safety come first. If you need emergency care, call for it or ask someone else to do so. If you can safely stay at the scene, follow these steps:
- Stop your car – North Dakota law requires you to stop after an accident. If you can safely pull over, do so. Check to see if anyone was injured, and help them if you can.
- Call 911 – Report the accident to the police so that you have a record of the incident. The law requires you to report any accident where someone is injured or has died or if there is more than $1,000 in property damage. That can be hard to assess at the scene, so it is better to be on the safe side.
- Exchange information – Request the other driver’s name, address, insurance information and vehicle registration information. You can also ask to see their driver’s license. They are required to show it to you.
- Do not admit guilt – Never apologize or admit the accident was your fault. Simply exchange the necessary information and provide the police officer with your license and insurance information.
- Take photos – Take as many pictures of the accident scene and your vehicles as you can from different angles. They can be very helpful in reconstructing the accident.
- Talk to witnesses – If there are other witnesses to the accident, try to get their contact information. Our team can follow up with them later.
- Seek medical help – Even if you do not think that your injuries are serious, have a doctor examine you. Many injuries are not immediately obvious, but they become worse over time. You will also need to document your injuries for your claim.
Finally, you should speak to one of our experienced lawyers to discuss your options. With decades of combined legal experience representing personal injury cases, our team knows how to guide you through the process. The sooner our lawyers start working on your case, the better they can preserve evidence and create a strong claim.
Why You Should Call Solberg Stewart Miller
Clients often ask us why they need a lawyer for their personal injury cases. In some situations, their insurance companies were already offering them settlements. Unfortunately, those early offers rarely include full compensation for the value of your claim. Insurance companies often make a lowball offer, hoping that you will not discuss your case with an attorney and learn what it is really worth.
Our attorneys will give you an assessment based on their years of experience with these matters and negotiate for every dollar you deserve. Hiring our firm also signals to the insurance company that you take your claim seriously and are ready to go to trial, if necessary.
Learn More Today
Find out more about your options in a free case review. To schedule your appointment, please call our office in Fargo at 701-864-3700 or fill out our contact form online.